Flooding Information for Devon
To find out whether there are flood warnings in your area please click on the link below:
If you need any further information you can contact the Incident Communication Service on 0845 850 3518 (Emergency services and external partners).
SAND BAGS: HOW TO GET THEM AND HOW TO USE THEM
If you are at risk of flooding, don’t wait until it is too late to act.
Ottery St Mary Town Council has a limited supply of bags from East Devon DC. You can collect them from the Town Council offices during normal office hours (that’s Monday to Friday, between 10.00am and 1.00pm). You will need to use your own sand.
Sandbags offer some protection by keeping water out for short periods when used together with plastic sheeting and garden soil can be used in emergencies as a substitute for sand.
There’s lots of helpful advice about using sand bags available from the Environment Agency
There is a new library and information centre in the former Nat West Bank.
The opening hours of the library are:
Monday 10.00 - 17.00
Thursday 10.00 - 13.00
Friday 10.00 - 18.00
Saturday 10.00 - 13.00
EDDC give the go ahead for a West Hill Parish Council
The West Hill Parish Council Campaign (“WHPCC”) are very pleased to have achieved our main objective of creating a parish council for West Hill. The EDDC Cabinet approved the recommendations at their meeting on 13th July, which was ratified by Full Council on 27th July.
The recommendations in full are:
- A new Parish Council be established for the area known as ‘West Hill’
- That the boundary be as set out in the Parish Council Map
- That the new Parish Council be known as ‘West Hill Parish Council’
- That the Membership will comprise of 7 Councillors
- That no warding provisions are incorporated in the Parish Council
- That there be consequential changes to the remaining wards of Ottery St Mary Town Council
- That these recommendations are duly published and the appropriate Order be made with delegated authority to the Chief Executive to incorporate all necessary provisions into the Order
- That it be noted the Parish Council will come into formal legal effect on the 1st April 2017 and the first elections will be held in May 2017.
This is a long overdue step for West Hill, by some margin the largest village in East Devon without its own parish council. We know that we have had overwhelming support from West Hill residents, who want West Hill to have its own voice.
Please note that from January 2017 the Citizens Advice will be available at Ottery Station, Mill St, OSM, EX11 1AH. Times as shown below:
1.00 pm - 4.00 pm on 1st Tuesday of every month
For further details please see the Community Information & Events page
The Old Station
The Old Station which is now owned by the Council (as was previously closed) is now up and running as a new Youth Centre and Community Hub
The Council have been working hard to achieve a new Footpath/Cycle path from Butts Road to Otter Nurseries. We hope to achieve this in due course.